Look closely at the next two photos. Can you see the differences ?
Surfers going Frontside going Left walking to the nose.
Surfer going Backside going Left walking to the nose.
Two surfers, same day, same wave, both walking to the nose. Can you spot the differences in technique ?
1) Bodyline broken. Body hinged at the waist causing the head to go over the rail.
2) Eyes looking down at the feet.
3) Back foot pointed at the rail blocks the front foot from crossing over cleanly.
4) Knee bumps
5) Front arm raises up to try to un-weight the body, which causes the opposite shoulder to drop down.
6) Her steps are going straight down the stringer.
1) Bodyline strong from head to tow. Smooth arc.
2) Eyes looking at how the wave is developing in front of the board.
3) Back foot pointed to the rail and front foot point to the nose allows for easy un-obstructed steps.
4) Arms are pushing down to hold the board into the wave.
5) Her steps are to the left of the stringer to "load" up the inside rail.
( also notice the "lock" of the waves lip curling over the tail )
Two surfers, two different techniques. Which one of the two does your noseriding resemble ?
Please check out http://starb.on.coocan.jp/daily/daily0.html to see more surfers on the same wave on the same day ( daily ) so you can make your own comparisons.